Well, it’s that time again. Time for white rabbits, punches on the arm and for a new monthly mix. Not necessarily in that order.
This month we have another eclectic selection of tracks that have crossed my musical radar over the past 4 weeks, which includes some new releases as well as some old favourites.
We kick off with a very unlikely Lloyd Cole track from his ambient electronic album with composer Hans-Joachim Roedelius and then Trust The Wizards’ live favourites Lambchop inform us they have the drugs we’re looking for.
More drug tales from the new one from Steve Earle follows before a classic from The Lines. Then Stephin Merrit, under the guise of the Future Bible Heroes, gives all us parents some sage advice and then we move on to another post punk classic this time from The Loft.
Wendy Rene is next with a Stax standard recently re-released on Light In The Attic Records and then new sensation Savages ask us to button it. Sheffield crooner, Richard Hawley follows and then it’s fellow Yorkshireman, Nathaniel Green, with a song released on the wonderful Alcopop! label back in the day (their fourth release, in fact).
Time then for some Electrophonic Tonic from the legendary Michigan rock and roll group, Sonic’s Rendezvous Band, featuring Scott Morgan, who, it is sad to relay, is currently seriously ill and facing huge medical bills. (See here http://sonicsrendezvousband.net/news.html for more details).
There’s more post-punk wonder from Wire before we get a new one from current chart smashers (this may not strictly speaking be true) Jagwar Ma. It is cracking track, mind, chart bound or not.
Then we finish with a couple of Ohioan legends. First up, The Breeders with a hugely underrated non-LP track and then Bob Pollard’s Circus Devils close proceedings with a track that has resurfaced on the soundtrack to perhaps the weirdest film you are ever likely to see, I Razor. Spooky.
Enjoy all these songs below:
This is the full track listing for KOE049:
1. Pastoral – Lloyd Cole & Hans-Joachim Roedelius
2. So, I Hear You’re Moving – Lambchop
3. Calico Country – Steve Earle & The Dukes (& Duchesses)
4. Nerve Pylon – The Lines
5. Keep Your Children In A Coma – Future Bible Heroes
6. Viet Cong Motivation – Digging Up Virgins (not on YouTube, but available here http://hibernatorgigs.bandcamp.com/album/songs-in-the-key-of-bob)
7. Who Buries The Undertaker? – Robert Pollard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DVhZLvyDuk
8. Up The Hill And Down The Slope – The Loft
9. After Laughter (Comes Tears) – Wendy Rene
10. Adventures In The Dark Arts Of Watermelonery – The Saints (I can’t find this anywhere online, but it’s off their new album King Of The Sun – the first Chris Bailey has released under the band name since 2006 – and well worth getting yer lugs round.)
11. Shut Up – Savages
12. Don’t Stare At The Sun – Richard Hawley
13. Old Folks/Young Folks – Nathaniel Green
14. Electrophonic Tonic – Sonic’s Rendezvous Band
15. You Don’t Fade – Daughn Gibson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpIY84A-75Y
16. Ex Lion Tamer – Wire
17. Amarillo Highway – Terry Allen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZ-HimfmXk
18. Let Her Go – Jagwar Ma
19. Safari – The Breeders
20. All The Good Ones Are Gone – Circus Devils
Again, there are a handful of tracks that are not currently available on Spotify, which I would urge you to check out and have linked to YouTube where possible.
Grace Light Of Aerial Forgiveness
Happy listening!! See you next month for another ragbag of aural delights.
Previous Monthly Mixes
Kicker’s Monthly Mix – July 2013 (now with added Chorizo Garbanzo review!)