Last week on Twitter @boywiththearabstrap posted one of his trademark song polls.
🏆#IndieBoys RD 2 POLL 14 OF 33 TOP 2 & POSSIBLE 3RD QUALIFY
1. THE STONE ROSES
3.HALF MAN HALF BISCUIT
— Boywiththearabstrap (@MUSESFAN2) July 31, 2017
The result of this poll and in particular the lack of votes for the Tindersticks song provoked heated debate.
How the fuck is Tindersticks losing so badly? There’s no way this song deserves to be so poorly supported 😦
— TraceyB (@INeedDirection) July 31, 2017
Admittedly The ‘Sticks (as nobody calls them) were up against strong opposition but the main reason they lost the poll so heavily was because “I Was Your Man” is not one of their best songs. So I waded into the Twittermelee to say so.
We ♥♥♥ Tindersticks but “If I Was Your Man” wouldn’t even make the top 50 in a list of their best songs
— Trust the Wizards (@trustthewizards) July 31, 2017
Being the kind of sad obsessive I am, having made a statement like that I then had to check it by compiling a list of my favourite 50 Tindersticks songs. They’ve done a lot of covers and instrumentals so I excluded those to make the task a little easier. Actually I couldn’t get it down to 50 so here, in reverse order as is tradition, is my top 60 Tindersticks songs interspersed with a few of the band’s official videos.
60. Desperate Man (Curtains)
59. Tiny Tears (Tindersticks 2nd album)
58. Slippin’ Shoes (The Something Rain)
57. Let’s Pretend (Curtains)
56. Black Smoke (Falling Down a Mountain)
55. Were We Once Lovers? (The Waiting Room)
54. A Marriage Made In Heaven (single)
53. Help Yourself (The Waiting Room)
52. Everything Changes (Don’t Even Go There EP)
51. Patchwork (Tindersticks 1st album)
50. El Diablo En El Ojo (Tindersticks 2nd album)
49. Medicine (The Something Rain)
48. Hey Lucinda (The Waiting Room)
47. People Keep Comin’ Around (Can Our Love)
46. Travellin’ Light (Tindersticks 2nd album)
45. Milky Teeth (Tindersticks 1st album)
44. This Fire of Autumn (The Something Rain)
43. No Man in the World (Can Our Love)
42. Mistakes (Tindersticks 2nd album)
41. For Those… (b-side of Marbles)
40. Make Believe (b-side of Rented Rooms)
39. Like Only Lovers Can (The Waiting Room)
38. Walking (Curtains)
37. Second Chance Man (The Waiting Room)
36. Sweet Memory (Waiting for the Moon)
35. (Tonight) Are You Trying To Fall In Love Again? (Curtains)
34. Raindrops (Tindersticks 1st album)
33. The Waiting Room (The Waiting Room)
32. Another Night In (Curtains)
31. Her (Tindersticks 1st album)
30. Can Our Love (Can Our Love)
29. Until the Morning Comes (Waiting for the Moon)
28. Tyed / Tie Dye (Tindersticks 1st album)
27. If She’s Torn (Simple Pleasure)
26. Yesterday’s Tomorrows (The Hungry Saw)
25. Harmony Around My Table (Falling Down a Mountain)
24. A Night In (Tindersticks 2nd album)
23. Can We Start Again? (Simple Pleasure)
22. The Hungry Saw (The Hungry Saw)
21. A Night So Still (The Something Rain)
20. Talk To Me (Tindersticks 2nd album)
19. No Place So Alone (The Hungry Saw)
18. CF GF (Falling Down A Mountain)
17. Bathtime (Curtains)
16. Boobar (The Hungry Saw)
15. Trouble Every Day (Trouble Every Day soundtrack)
14. The Other Side of the World (The Hungry Saw)
13. The Not Knowing (Tindersticks 1st album)
12. Drunk Tank (Tindersticks 1st album)
11. Buried Bones (Curtains)
10. Show Me Everything (The Something Rain)
9. Chilitetime (Can Our Love)
8. Marseilles Sunshine (originally released on the first Stuart A. Staples solo album but qualifies here beacuse it was re-recorded by Tindersticks for their Across Six Leap Years compilation)
7. City Sickness (Tindersticks 1st album)
6. Cherry Blossoms (Tindersticks 2nd album)
5. Sometimes It Hurts (Waiting for the Moon)
4. All The Love (The Hungry Saw)
3. Jism (Tindersticks 1st album)
2. Factory Girls (Falling Down a Mountain)
1. I Know That Loving (Simple Pleasures)
So there you have it.
It’d be a different list tomorrow of course. If you’re a Tindersticks fan then you’ll know that there are several officially released live albums and superior versions of most of these songs can be found on those, particularly the Bloomsbury Theatre and San Sebastian ones.
But what’s that I hear you say? Is there a pictogram to go with this? Funny you should ask.
Not all these songs are on Spotify but here are the ones that are. (I think you will only see this if you’re logged in to Spotify)
Thanks to @musesfan2 @_sandywishart @WillieMcalpine @INeedDirection @indieover40 @maffrj and @jones_jamie for contributing to the orginal Twitter thread.
- Live review: Tindersticks album launch @ Rough Trade East, January 2016
- Live review: Tindersticks at Liverpool Philharmonic, May 2016
- Q&A with Terry Edwards – part 1
- Q&A with Terry Edwards – part 2
- Podcast number 15 (includes Lhasa de Sela)
- Podcast number 46 (includes Neil Fraser & Terry Edwards)
- Podcast number 20 (includes Tindersticks)
- Exclusive Christmas message from Tindersticks and Trust the Wizards
- Chorizo’s top 50 Manic Street Preachers songs (2013)
- Chorizo’s top 50 Manic Street Preachers songs… again! (2015)
So many songs here I don’t really know, but The Not Knowing is my favourite from the ones I do. Also, I note that the band’s first album is, statistically, their best. Hey ho.
Think everyone appreciates your effort, but leaving out an emblematic song such as the hauntingly beautiful “My Oblivion”, which encapsulates the longing Tindersticks, leaves an indelible stain in this list.
I love My Oblivion, especially when it’s played live. Didn’t quite make the list though.
“An Indelible Stain” sounds like it could be the title of a Tindersticks instrumental.