I’ve already done a summary of the gigs I went to in 2019. You can find that in Part 1 right here.
Hear lots of this music on my “best of the year” podcast coming to this site very soon.
Top 10 Favourite Albums of the Year
- No Treasure But Hope by Tindersticks
- Club Nites by Dumb
- The World Is A Bell by The Leaf Library
- Seeker by Mikal Cronin
- Polarlichter by Alice Hubble
- Boat by Pip Blom
- PF2 by Pill Fangs
- Run Around The Sun by Sacred Paws
- There’s No Fight We Can’t Both Win by Mammoth Penguins
- Stunning Luxury by Snapped Ankles
Favourite concept album of the year
- The Crack And What It Meant by Quiet Marauder featuring Matthias Kom[Hear all about that in our podcast interview with Simon from Quiet Marauder]
The rest of my Top 30 albums of the year (in no particular order)
- VALIS by Reptaliens
- Badbea by Edwyn Collins
- The Fen Sessions by John MOuse [blog article]
- kc+ca=<3 by Kevin Colin Et Les Crazy Antonins (Name your price download)
- Eton Alive by Sleaford Mods
- Verses Universe by Rev Magnetic
- Atlanta Millionaire’s Club by Faye Webster [live review in podcast 87]
- Cut Up and Paste by Woog Riots
- This Mess Is A Place by Tacocat
- Anxiety League by Teen Girl Scientist Monthly
- Til the Morning by The Catenary Wires
- Tainted Lunch by Warmduscher
- Love Keeps Kicking by Martha
- Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood
- Twelve Nudes by Ezra Furman
- Pang! by Gruff Rhys
- Anima by Thom Yorke
- As The Dust Is Beginning To Settle by The Nameless Book
- Purple Mountains by Purple Mountains
Favourite compilation album
- The Moon and Back This is “an album of kosmische, pop, indie, alternative, DIY, and ambient tunes celebrating the Apollo 11 adventure” released on the ever-reliable Where It’s At Is Where You Are label.
- Runner up: Pay It All Back Volume 7 The latest label sampler from On U Sound.
Keep Walking EP by Sports Team (2nd year in a row that Sports Team have made my favourite EP of the year!)
Runner-up: Town Centre EP by Squid
Favourite EP that I’m playing on!
2005 by pinkandblue
- Films / TV / books may not necessarily released in 2019 but they were all consumed and enjoyed by me in this year.
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs & The Ritual (both Netflix)
Favourite films with the Junior Chorizos
Like many people we’ve watched / re-watched loads of Marvel films in the run-up to the release of Avengers Endgame.
My favourites have been Thor, Thor Ragnarok, Captain Marvel & Guardians of the Galaxy. Endgame itself was of course fantastic too.
Favourite TV series
Also enjoyed the documentaries Life Animated & The Dawn Wall (all Netflix)
I’ve loved Joni Mitchell’s early 70s albums since first hearing them as a teenager but I’ve never known much about her as a person. This impeccably researched podcast series told the story of her life and music in a fascinating way, using interview clips with Joni herself and all the other key players in her story. And what a story it is, even before she starts making music Joni has already had a more eventful life than most!
Great to hear the backstory behind so many of the songs I love as well as inspiring me to buy and fall in love with some of her later albums, Turbulent Indigo in particular.
Other recommended music podcast: The C86 Show
Favourite music book
I’m Not With The Band by Sylvia Patterson
Great to read an autobiography by a music journalist that is so full of enthusiasm for the job and so free of pretension and self-aggrandisement.
Runner-up: Anarchy in the Year Zero by Clinton Heylin. Extremely detailed and forensic rundown of the early days of punk.
Favourite non-music books
The Quarry & Transition, both by Iain Banks
I know these are both a few years old but I only got around to reading them this year. Transition is a bizarre trippy story with multiple narrators and timelines. The Quarry is much more straight-forward and is centred around 2 fantastically written main characters, a dysfunctional father and son.
It’s made me want to go back and fill in the gaps of all the other Banks books I didn’t read.
- Kicker of Elves favourite things of 2019
- Chorizo’s favourite things of 2018
- Kicker’s favourite things of 2018
- Chorizo’s favourite things of 2017
- Kicker’s favourite things of 2017
- Kicker’s favourite things of 2016
- Kicker’s favourite things of 2015
- Chorizo’s favourite things of 2014
- Kicker’s favourite things of 2014
- Chorizo’s favourite things of 2013
- Kicker’s favourite things of 2013