Today would’ve been John Peel’s 75th birthday and last night we were proud to be part of “Peel’s Big 75” at The Kazimier in Liverpool. We were asked to DJ for the night so we played a Peel-flavoured set that went like this…
- The Tinderbox (Of A Heart) – Cocteau Twins
- Lifeforms – Future Sound of London
- Birthday – The Sugarcubes
- Tam Tam – Gregory Isaacs
- Dub Warmth – Fish and Goat
- Tow Truck – Sabres of Paradise
- Hymn for the Cigarettes – Hefner
- Shame On You – The Darling Buds
- Spring Rain – The Go Betweens
- Ping Pong – Stereolab
- All the Records on the Radio are Shite – Ballboy
After that, there was some witty poetry from John Kay including one about Scousers, a ballsy move from a Mancunian in an away fixture!
- No Christmas for John Quays – The Fall
- Shatner – The Wedding Present
- Motor Away – Guided by Voices
- Honey – Marine Girls (in true John Peel style, this one was played by accident)
- Preposterous Tales – I Ludicrous (not on Spotify, here’s a Youtube link, also can be heard on our podcast number 8)
- Needle in a Haystack – The Velvelettes
- Gargantua’s Last Stand – Man or Astro Man
- Dickie Davies Eyes – Half Man Half Biscuit
- Half a Person – The Smiths
- Race with the Devil – Gene Vincent
- Drunk Tank – Tindersticks
- (We Ain’t Got) Nothin’ Yet – The Blues Magoos
- Nitro – Dick Dale
Here’s a Spotify playlist of the songs we’d played so far.
The rain was coming down hard by now and it was time for Double Double Plus Good who were exactly that. First time we’d heard these fellas but we were impressed with their instantly catchy punkypop sound.
- I’m Hardly Ever Wrong – The Would Bes (not on Spotify, here’s a Youtube link)
- Lazy Line Painter Jane – Belle and Sebastian
- Diamond Dew – Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci
- This Perfect Day – The Saints
- Hey! Fever – Arab Strap (not on Spotify, here’s a Youtube link)
- Canyons of Your Mind – The Bonzo Dog Band
- Fiction Romance – Buzzcocks
Next up was Mean Jean, organisers of tonight’s gig and big favourites of the wizards from when we saw them supporting Scott & Charlene’s Wedding last August. They included some Festive 50 covers in their set including that Camper Van Beethoven classic and Chorizo’s favourite Pavement song. You can also hear them on our recent podcast number 26.
- Mankind – Misty in Roots (not on Spotify, here’s a Youtube link, also can be heard on our podcast number 16)
- Kimble – The Fall
- Blank Expression – The Specials
- Moon Hop – Derrick Morgan
- The Greatness and Perfection of Love – Julian Cope
- Fascist Boom – Marxman
- Tool and Die – Consolidated featuring Michael Franti
- Does Your Heart Go BOOOOOOOMM – Helen Love
Last band of the night were Avenging Force featuring bassist Graham who rose Lazarus-like from his sickbed to play the gig and ended the last song in a heap on the floor. As might be expected from a band who’ve made an album with Steve Albini, they were REALLY LOUD which is always a good thing. Monstrous drumming, lots of crazy effects pedals and plenty of fucking about with feedback here, all of which created a truly beautiful racket.
- Moving Away from the Pulsebeat – Buzzcocks (special request for Graham from Avenging Force)
- Snake – PJ Harvey
- This Mystic Decade – Hot Snakes
- Love Und Romance – The Slits
- Theme from Sparta F.C. – The Fall
- Why – The Sweeney
- Identity – X Ray Spex
- Everywhere With Helicopter – Guided By Voices
- Kung Fu – Ash
- Lovenest – The Wedding Present
- Endless Art – A House
- You Trip Me Up – The Jesus and Mary Chain
- Gotta Getaway – Stiff Little Fingers
- Cuban Boys – The Nation Needs You (2014 version) (not on Spotify, Youtube or anywhere yet!)
- Teenage Kicks – The Undertones
Here a Spotify playlist of the second half of the set.
The whole evening was in aid of the 2 charities Crisis and Shelter. You can donate on this page.
The wizards and everyone on the stage last night had their life significantly enriched by John Peel’s radio shows. Have a listen to our special podcast celebrating the music he championed. Happy birthday John.